GROUPWISE vacation/out-of-office rule
Management Information Services > Service and Desktop Support > Help Desk Support > GroupWise E-mail > GroupWise Vacation Rule
Click "Tools" (from the top menu of the GroupWise window) and select "Rules" from the menu.
From the box that appears, select "New" and the "New Rule" box appears.
Type a name in the Rule Name box, such as 'Vacation Rule'.
The 'When Event Is' should already display 'New Item' since that is the default setting.
Next to 'And Items Are', select "Received". Make sure no other item source is selected.
Do not make any selections under "Item Types".
Click "Define Conditions" and do the following:
Click the down-arrow in the first box and select "All Fields..."
The "All Filter Fields" box displays. Select "View Name" and click "OK". After you do this one time the "View Name" will appear in the drop-down list and you won't have to display this page to find it.
- Click the down-arrow on the "Contains" button
and select "Does Not Contain"
- In the next field, key in "Internet". It is case sensitive and must be keyed in exactly as shown and without the quote " " marks. The quote marks will appear after the "Define Conditions.." box is closed and its contents displays in the New Rule box.
- Change the "End" button to "And" with the down-arrow and a second line is automatically added.
- On the new line, click the down-arrow in the first box and select "Delivered".
- Click the down-arrow on the "Contains" button and select ">= On or After Date". ***Do not select the option that just has "> = On or After" at the top of the list. Enter the date you are leaving in the next field.
- Change the "End" button to "And".
- On the new line that appears, click the down-arrow in the first box and select "Delivered".
- Click the down-arrow on the "Contains" button and select "<= On or Before Date". ***Do not select the option that just has ">= On or Before" at the top of the list. Enter the date of the last day you will be gone in the next field.
- Change the "End" button to "And".
- On the new line that appears, click the down-arrow in the first box and select "From".
- Click the down-arrow on the "Contains" button and select "Does Not Contain" button .
- Enter your e-mail name as it is displayed in the "From:" field when you send an e-mail.
- On this last line, always finish up with "End" selected. Leave the "End" button alone to denote the end of all statements.
- The completed Define Conditions should look exactly like the following except for the name and the dates.
- Click "OK" and you are returned to the "New Rule" box.
This is what you have so far:
Next on the Rule box is the "Appointment conflict exists". Do nothing to this item.
Under "Then Actions Are..", click "Add Action" and select "Reply" from the list.
The "Reply Options" dialog box is displayed, showing "Reply to Sender" selected (you cannot select Reply to All). If you want your reply to include the sender's original message, select "Include message received from sender".
Type a message, for example:
"I will be out of the office from September 3 and return September 10. If you need assistance during this time, please contact our secretary at extension 1234".
You do not need to fill in any other information. Click OK. Your rule will look as follows:
In the "Then Actions are" field it will show "Reply" or "Reply With Text" depending on the choice to select or not the "Include message received from sender" on the "Reply Options" dialog box.
Click SAVE and verify that the rule has a check mark next to it in the Rules box, indicating that it is enabled.
Rules that trigger a reply (such as this vacation rule) keep a record of who a reply has been sent to and makes sure that a reply is sent only once to that user.
The next time you will be out of the office you can just "Edit" the rule by changing the dates and if you included the dates in the message, change the message also. Don't forget to make sure the check box is checked as you are leaving the Rules box, so that that rule will be enabled.
If you need help with this, please contact Ketura Reaves in the MIS Department at extension 8-8424.